Stone County LST-1141 - History

Stone County LST-1141 - History

We are searching data for your request:

Forums and discussions:
Manuals and reference books:
Data from registers:
Wait the end of the search in all databases.
Upon completion, a link will appear to access the found materials.

Stone County

(LST-1141: dp. 3,960; 1. 328'; b. 50'; dr. 11'2; B.11.6 k.; cpl. 119; trp. 147; a. 8 40mm.; cl. LST 542)

Stone County (LST-1141) was laid down on 22 January 1945 by the Chicago Bridge and Iron Co., Seneca, Ill.; launched on 18 April; sponsored by Miss Gwendolyn K. Bartels, and commissioned on 9 May 1945, Lt. E. M. Biggs, USNR, in command.

After descending the Mississippi, LST-1141 moved from New Orleans to Mobile on 16 May and began her shakedown cruise which lasted from 17 to 31 May. Laden with cargo, she got underway on 16 June for California and arrived at San Pedro on 6 July. She sailed for Hawaii on 13 July and anchored in Pearl Harbor on 23 July. She headed west on 15 August and proceeded, via Eniwetok, to the Marianas arriving at Apra Harbor, Guam, on 31 August. On 5 September, she moved to Saipan. LST-1141 made a voyage to Tokyo, Japan, in early October and then operated in the Marianas until she returned to Pearl Harbor on 6 December en route to the United States. She reached San Francisco on 22 December 1945 and operated along the California coast until May 1946.

LST-1141 stood out of San Die~o on 2 May and headed for the western Pacific on what proved to be a two-year tour. She arrived at Shanghai, China, on 12 June; made a voyage to Sasebo, Japan, and returned to Tsingtao on the 27th. Thereafter, with the exception of occasional trips to Okinawa, Guam, or the Philippines, she operated along the China coast. On 15 April 1949, the ship departed Shanghai and proceeded-via Keelung, Taiwan; Subic Bay; and Pearl Harbor-to the United States. Upon her arrival at San Francisco on 4 June, she was ordered to report to the Pacific Reserve Fleet for inactivation. On 24 August 1949, LST-1141 was decommissioned and placed in reserve at San Diego.

The outbreak of hostilities in Korea in June 1950 created a need for additional shipping; and on 7 August, orders were issued to reactivate LST-1141. The ship was recommissioned on 3 November 1950 at San Diego. After shakedown, refitting, and loading supplies, LST-1141 sailed for Japan on 21 March 1951; and she arrived at Yokosuka on 21 May 1951. During her service in the Far East, she participated in various troop landing exercises, hauled cargo from Japan to Korea, and participated in the "Royal Marine Lift" from Japan to Korea. On 10 February 1952, the ship departed Yokosuka for home.

LST-1141 arrived at San Diego on 8 March and operated along the California coast until 15 January 1953 when she again sailed for Japan, via Pearl Harbor, Guam, and Chichi Jima, Bonin Islands. She arrived at Yokosuka in late February, moved to Sasebo on 17 March, and sailed to an area off Korea (in Area "S") where she remained from 20 March to 19 April. The ship refitted at Yokosuka from 22 April to 2 May when she steamed to Inchon. In June, she made a run from Yokosuka to Pusan. This pattern of operations, supply runs from Japan to ports in Korea, continued until November 1953 with little change in their routine. Notable exceptions were the 35 days that the LST spent in enemy-held Wonsan Harbor and her role in Operation "Big Switch," the transportation of Korean prisoners of war from compounds at Koje Do to Inehon. When this lift was completed, the LST carried Chinese prisoners from Choju Do to Inehon where they were given the opportunity to choose between Communism and freedom.

She steamed out of Yokosuka on 10 December and sailed into San Diego on 20 December 1953. LST-1141 spent 1954 in operations along the west coast which included a yard overhaul and a trip to Vancouver, British Columbia. On 3 January 1955, she deployed to the Far East and, after a non-stop voyage, arrived at Yokosuka on 1 February. The ship was attached to the 7th Fleet and aided in the evacuation of the Tachen Islands.

On 5 April, LST-1141 and LST Division 11 sailed for California and arrived at San Diego on the 26th. She spent the remainder of 1955 in various training exercises with United States Marines at San Diego and Oceanside, Calif. On 1 July 1955,LST-1141 was named Stone County to commemorate counties in Missouri, Arkansas, and Mississippi.

In January 1956, Stone County participated in an exercise at Makusin Bay, Unalaska Island. After 18 months operating along the west coast, she sailed on 13 August 1957 for another tour in the western Pacific. Shortly after her arrival at Yokosuka, the ship loaded marines at Camp McGill on 25 September and lifted them to Naha, Okinawa, before returning to Japan. Two brief exercises followed: one off Okinawa and one at Subic Bay in the Philippines. She departed Subic Bay on 3 January 1958 for Japan, making a port call at Hong Kong en route. The deployment ended on 1 April when the LST returned to San Diego.

Stone County was deployed with the 7th Fleet again from 23 April to 9 December 1959. In 1961, she participated in Operation "Silver Sword" conducted at Maui Hawaii. In April 1962, the LST operated in the midPacific for the first of three 30 day periods to take part in the EASTPAC Survey. She provided logistic services for Air Force and Army survey teams. Detached in August, she carried soldiers of the 25th Infantry Division from Oahu to the island of Hawaii during September and returned to San Diego on 1 October 1962.

Stone County operated in the Hawaii area again from the fall of 1963 to January 1964 when she returned to the California coast. The ship was deployed to the western Pacific from late January 1965 to 7 May 1965.

Stone County embarked "A" Battery, 2d Light Antiaircraft Missile Battalion, at San Diego during July 1965 and sailed for South Vietnam on 10 August. She arrived at Chu Lai on 12 September; offloaded the men, missiles, and their launching systems the next day; and sailed for Hong Kong. After port calls at Sasebo and Pearl Harbor, she returned to San Diego, arriving on 2 November. In December, she entered Todd Shipyard, San Pedro, Calif., for her regular overhaul which lasted until 14 February 1966. After refresher and amphibious training, the LST took on troops and sailed for South Vietnam on 9 May, via Pearl Harbor and Subic Bay. She arrived at Chu Lai on 17 June and disembarked elements of the 9th Engineering Battalion, USMC, and sailed the next day for Japan. Stone County arrived at Yokosuka on 28 June and landed the remainder of her troops there. On 9 July, she sailed to Naha and loaded supplies for Danang, departing on the 14th. She arrived at Danang on 20 July and unloaded. From 21 July to 20 September, she operated between Danang and Chu Lai, transporting military cargo in support of American efforts in the I Corps area.

Stone County departed the operations area on 21 September en route to Sasebo for hull repairs. She returned to South Vietnam on 24 October with more cargo from Naha destined for Army forces at Qui Nhon. She commenced a voyage to Okinawa the next day where she loaded equipment to be returned to the United States. She sailed on 2 November, called at Pearl Harbor for two days, and arrived at San Diego on 2 December 1966.

Stone County operated out of her home port throughout 1967 and until March 1968. On 7 March, she got underway for the western Pacific, making port calls at Pearl Harbor, Saipan, Guam, and Subic Bay en route. The LST arrived at Danang on 25 April and operated along the coast until 13 June. After a short upkeep period in Subic Bay from 18 to 28 June, she returned to Danang for duty with the Naval Support Activity. She was on station from 3 to 28 July and
then made a two-week trip to Hong Kong. The ship was back on station along the South Vietnamese coast from 10 August to 6 October. On 7 October, Stone County was detached to return to the United States and arrived at San Diego on 31 December 1968.

Stone Count~g operated along the California coast until 23 October 1969 when she sailed for Guam, via Pearl Harbor. She arrived at Apra Harbor, her new home port, on 19 November 1969.

After an overhaul there, Stone County was transferred under lease to Thailand on 12 March 1970, and she served the Royal Thailand Navy as Lanta (LST-4). She was returned to the custody of the United States on 15 August 1973 and retransferred to the government of Thailand on the same date as a sale. Stone County was struck from the Navy list on 15 August 1973.

Stone County received four battle stars for Korean service and four stars for service in Vietnam.

USS Stone County (LST-1141)

USS Stone County (LST-1141) under way circa 1950s.

Courtesy of the Naval Historical Center

Time Period

Related Entries

Our Sponsors

Major support provided through a partnership with the Arkansas Department of Parks & Tourism.

Major funding provided by the Winthrop Rockefeller Foundation.

Special thanks to the Department of Arkansas Heritage.

Additional support provided by the Arkansas Humanities Council.

Additional support provided by the Arkansas General Assembly.

Additional support provided by the Arkansas Community Foundation.

Additional support provided by the Charles M. and Joan R. Taylor Foundation Inc.




Honor or memorial gifts are an everlasting way to pay tribute to someone who has touched your life. Give a donation in someone’s name to mark a special occasion, honor a friend or colleague or remember a beloved family member. When a tribute gift is given the honoree will receive a letter acknowledging your generosity and a bookplate will be placed in a book. For more information, contact 501-918-3025 or [email protected]

The CALS Foundation is a 501(c)(3) organization. Donations made to the CALS Foundation are tax-deductible for United States federal income tax purposes. Read our Privacy Policy.

Stone County LST-1141 - History

LST-542 Class Tank Landing Ship:
Laid down, 22 January 1945, at Chicago Bridge and Iron Co., Seneca, IL.
Launched, 18 April 1945
Commissioned, USS LST-1141, 9 May 1945, LT. E. M. Biggs, USNR, in command
During World War II USS LST-1141 was assigned to the Asiatic-Pacific Theater
Following World War II USS LST-1141 was assigned to Occupation and China service in the Far East.
Decommissioned, 24 August, 1949, at San Diego, CA.
Laid up in the Pacific Reserve Fleet, San Diego Group
Recommissioned, 3 November 1950, at San Diego
During the Korean War USS LST-1141 participated in some campaigns.
Named USS Stone County (LST-1141), 1 July 1955
During the Vietnam War USS Stone County participated also.
Decommissioned, May 1970 at Apra, Guam
Transferred under lease to Thailand, 12 March 1970, renamed HTMS Lanta (LST-4)
Sold outright to Thailand under the Security Assistance Program, 15 August 1973
Struck from the Naval Register, 15 August 1973
Hull number changed from LST-4 to LST-714, date unknown
Decommissioned by the Royal Thai Navy, date unknown
USS Stone County earned four battle stars for Korean War service and five campaign stars for Vietnam War service

About Us

The purpose of the Stone County Historical/Genealogical Society is to collect, preserve, make accessible and publish material relating to the history of Stone County, Missouri.

The Stone County Historical Museum & Genealogical Center is located at:
103 S Main Street
Crane, MO 65633

Thursday 10:00 a.m.-4:00 p.m.
Saturday 10:00 a.m.-2:00 p.m.

Mailing Address:
PO Box 63
Galena, MO 65656

Phone Number: 417-230-0800
Alternate Phone Number:417-239-7527
Email: [email protected]


VICE-PRESIDENT: Linda Cutbirth

SECRETARY: Charlotte Llewellyn


BOARD: Trevor Keckler, Steve Seaton, Patti Roman



Stone County LST-1141 - History

The USS Stone County (LST-1141) was an LST-542–class tank landing ship built in 1945 that saw service in the Pacific after World War II and in the Korean and Vietnam wars. It was designated the USS Stone County on July 1, 1955, in honor of counties in Arkansas, Missouri, and Mississippi.

LST-1141 was one of a class of vessels—called Landing Ship, Tank—created to carry tanks, wheeled and tracked vehicles, artillery, construction equipment, and supplies during military operations along coastal areas. Called “Large Slow Targets” by their crews, they were designed as shallow-draft vessels when carrying a 500-ton load, LST-1141 drew only three feet eleven inches forward and nine feet ten inches aft. They carried pontoons amidships that could be used to create causeways when they had to debark their cargos from deeper water, but they were also capable of dropping their forward ramps directly onto a beach.

Use Flickriver Badge Creator to create a badge linking to your photos, your group or any other Flickriver view.

You can place your badge on your Flickr profile, Blog or Website.

Flickriver widget for iGoogle or Netvibes can display almost any Flickriver view - most interesting today, by user, by group, by tag etc. Once added to your personalized homepage, just edit widget settings to select your desired view.

Clickr on one of the buttons below to install:

To embed this view, Copy and Paste the following HTML code:

Adds a 'Flickriver' button to your browser. While viewing any Flickr photos page, click on this button to open the same view on Flickriver.

Add 'Search on Flickriver' to your browser's search box. Works with Firefox and Internet Explorer. Install search plugin

A Greasemonkey script that adds Flickriver links to various Flickr photo pages - user photos, favorites, pools etc, allowing to quickly open the corresponding Flickriver view.

Also, allows quickly viewing any Flickr photo on black background in large size.

While viewing any Flickr photos page, click on the bookmarklet to open the same view on Flickriver.

To install: drag and drop the following link to your Bookmarks toolbar.
IE users - add the link to your Favorites under the Links folder

Marriage and Children

Adeliza de Clare (c.1077 - c.1163)

  1. Juliana de Vere (1116-) married Hugh Bigod, Earl Norfolk and Suffolk (1099-1176)
  2. Rohese de Vere (1109-1166) married Geoffrey de Mandeville, 1st Earl Essex (1091-1144)
  3. Aubrey III de Vere, 1st Earl of Oxford (1120-1194) m. Agnes (Lucy) of Essex (1151-1194)
  4. Alice de Vere (1124-1185) married Roger FitzRichard, 1st Lord of Warkworth (1139-1177)
  5. Robert de Vere, Lord of Drayton & Aldington Manors
  6. Felice de Vere, possibly the unnamed daughter who married Roger de Ramis
  7. Geoffrey
  8. William de Vere, Bishop of Hereford
  9. Gilbert, prior of the Knights Hospitaller in England

Teen gunman kills 17, injures 17 at Parkland, Florida high school

On February 14, 2018, an expelled student entered Parkland, Florida’s Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School and opened fire, killing 17 people and wounding 17 others, in what became the deadliest shooting at a high school in United States history.

Dressed in a maroon shirt adorned with the school logo, Nikolas Cruz exited his Uber outside the campus at 2:19 p.m. He approached the school wearing a backpack filled with magazines and carrying a black duffel packed with his legally purchased AR-15 semi-automatic rifle.

School staff had been warned after Cruz’s expulsion for "disciplinary reasons" in 2017 that the troubled teen was a risk to student safety. So when a staff member saw him outside, he radioed a 𠇌ode Red” to initiate a lockdown of the school. It was too late.

Cruz entered the high school’s Freshman Building, on campus—which was mostly filled with freshman students𠅊t 2:21 p.m. and unpacked his rifle in a stairwell. According to NBC Miami, freshman Chris McKenna, 15, spotted Cruz there and received a chilling warning from the gunman. “You better get out of here. Things are going to start getting messy.” McKenna ran outside, where he spotted Aaron Feis, a coach and school security monitor who took him to the baseball field 500 feet away and turned back to 𠇌heck it out.”

Cruz exited the stairwell into a first-floor hallway, firing a stream of bullets down the corridor, shattering windows and shooting through doors. In just under two minutes, he murdered 11 people and injured 13 others. He then headed up the stairs. He was on the second floor for less than a minute, firing but hitting no one, before going to the third floor where he killed his last six victims, and injured four more in the final 45 seconds of the attack.

Terrified students ran for their lives. Others remained holed up, hiding in classrooms, closets and bathrooms, desperate to reach their parents. Many began broadcasting the horror on social media through video and live posts.

According to the South Florida Sun Sentinel, Cruz left the hallways and went to the faculty lounge, where he set up a bipod—like a tripod on which to rest the gun—reloaded his weapon and began firing, like a sniper, at the fleeing students outside. Only hurricane impact-resistant glass in the windows kept the death toll from growing.

In all, Cruz’s attack lasted less than four minutes and left 17 dead. At 2:28 p.m., just seven minutes after entering the building, he ditched the rifle in another stairwell and left the school, attempting to blend in with the crowd of escaping students. The gunman successfully left the campus, running to a Walmart at 2:50 p.m, stopping at a Subway restaurant to get a drink and eventually heading to McDonalds. He was apprehended shortly thereafter after being spotted by a Broward County police officer.

“He looked like a typical high school student, and for a quick moment I thought, 𠆌ould this be the person who I need to stop?’” said Officer Michael Leonard in an interview after arresting Cruz.

Broward Sheriff&aposs deputy school resource officer Scot Peterson, who was assigned to the school that day, would later be accused of retreating during the shooting while victims were still under attack. Peterson was arrested in June 2019 and faced charges of neglect of a child, culpable negligence and perjury.

The devastation felt by the Florida community—once considered the safest city in the state—was immeasurable. Previous school shootings throughout the country had prompted Stoneman Douglas (and other schools) to practice active shooter drills, and the school had employed an armed officer on campus. But it hadn’t been enough to stop the carnage. Chants for “No More Guns!” broke out at candlelight vigils and over a thousand people showed up to funerals in the days after.

Student survivors took to social media to make their anger known, giving interviews and becoming activists for gun safety legislation. One student, David Hogg, went from school newspaper reporter to activist when his plea to legislators in a CNN interview went viral.

On March 24, less than six weeks after their lives were shattered by violence, students helped organize the March for Our Lives, a demonstration in support of gun violence prevention. Students across the country were encouraged to stage walkouts, and a rally was held in Washington, D.C. There, anti-gun violence protesters from around the country—some survivors of school shootings, and others whose daily lives were affected by gun violence�lebrities, and other activists, spoke to a crowd of thousands, demanding legislative change.

Three weeks later, Florida Governor Rick Scott, a supporter of the NRA, responded. He signed a bill imposing a 21-year-old legal age requirement for gun purchases and a three-day waiting period on all gun transactions. The law also controversially permitted the arming of some school employees.

Nikolas Cruz was charged with 17 counts of first-degree murder and 17 counts of attempted murder. 

Descriptive Metadata

Milestones Along the Old Highways of New York City 1917, the Milestone was moved back to its old site and dedicated by the City History Club in its present location. (Twenty-Third Annual Report [ 1918], American Scenic and Historic Preservation Society, 246-48 ibid. [1921- 22], 118 Charlotte R. Bangs, Reminiscences of Old New Utrecht and Gowanus [1912], 143-44.) Denyse's Ferry, mentioned on the stone, was located at Fort Hamilton at The Narrows. 6th MILESTONE (King's Highway). Marked: "6/ Mile to/ Ye/ Ferry." Brownstone. Now in the Long Island Historical Society. [Illustrated, p. 216] This Milestone formerly stood on the south side of King's Highway between one- and two-hundred feet west of Ocean Avenue on the old Bennett Farm. In 1921 Mr. Elias Bennett presented the stone to the Kings County Historical Society, and in 1941 it was deposited in the Long Island Historical Society, where it can now be seen. UNIDENTIFIED MILESTONE (King's Highway). Marking illegible. Brownstone. Now in the Long Island Historical Society. [Illustrated, p. 217] This Milestone stood in front of the John L. Ryder House on King's Highway at East 34th Street, Flatlands. The face of the stone has been battered so that the inscription is no longer legible. It was deposited by the Kings County Historical Society in 1941 in the building of the Long Island Historical Society, Borough of Queens Sth-lst MILESTONE. This stone is marked with two inscriptions. One face is marked: "5/ MILES TO/ 34th/ STREET/ FERRY." The other face is marked: "1/ MILE/ TO/ FLUSHING/ BRIDGE." Now on the south side of Northern Boulevard between 98th andppth Streets, adjoining No. 98-20. [Illustrated, p. 233] This Milestone was reported in 1913 to have disappeared, but it was found and reset by the City History Club in 1916. (F. B. Kelley, comp., op. cit., 374 A. E. Peterson, ed., Landmarks of New York, 192.) Borough of Richmond MILESTONE (Richmond Turnpike). Marked: "[ ]/ Miles/ to/ N. YorkE." Brownstone. Now in the Staten Island Institute of Arts and Sciences, St. George, S. I. [Illustrated, p. 221] This Milestone formerly stood on Victory Boulevard (formerly Richmond Turnpike) at the corner of Signs Road, between Bulls Head and Travis. It is the only known Milestone on Staten Island, and it was secured for preservation in 1890. (Proceedings, Natural Science Association of Staten Island, February 13, 1890.) 234

New-York Historical Society 170 Central Park West at Richard Gilder Way (77th Street) New York, NY 10024
Phone (212) 873-3400
TTY (212) 873-7489

Stone County LST-1141 - History

Stone County, Arkansas

Genealogy and History
Volunteers Dedicated to Free Genealogy

Welcome to Arkansas Genealogy Trails!

This Stone County Website
is available for adoption.

Our goal is to help you track your ancestors through time by transcribing genealogical and historical data and placing it online for the free use of all researchers.

If you have a love for history, a desire to help others, and basic webpage-making skills, consider joining us!
Get the details on our Volunteer Page .
[A desire to transcribe data and knowledge of how to make a basic webpage is required.]

If hosting isn't for you, we can use your help in other ways.
More information can be found on the Volunteer Page .

We regret that we are unable to
perform personal research for anybody.

Stone County
The county was formed on April 21, 1873, and named for the natural stone formations in the area.
Stone County is home to the famous Blanchard Springs Caverns, a three-level system of still-developing caves administered by the United States Forest Service.

Stone County LST-1141 - History

Welcome to
Rhea County, TN

Genealogy and History

Our goal is to help you track your ancestors through time by transcribing genealogical and historical data and placing it online for the free use of all researchers

This Site is Available For Adoption!

If you have a love for history, a desire to help others, and basic webpage-making skills, consider joining us!
Get the details on our Volunteer Page.
[A desire to transcribe data and knowledge of how to make a basic webpage is required.]

If hosting isn't for you, we can use your help in other ways.
TNre information can be found on the Volunteer Page

We regret that we are unable to do personal research for anyone.
All data we come across will be added to this site.
We thank you for visiting and hope you'll come back again to view the updates we make to this site

Happy Trails to you on your quest for your ancestors.

Rhea County Information
Founded in 1807, Rhea County is named for Tennessee politician and Revolutionary War veteran John Rhea.
A portion of the Trail of Tears ran through the county as part of the United States government's removal of the Cherokee in the 1830s.

The Scopes Trial, which resulted from the teaching of evolution being banned in Tennessee public schools under the Butler Act, took place in Rhea County in 1925. The trial was one of the first to be referred to as the "Trial of the Century". William Jennings Bryan played a role as prosecutor in trial, and he died in Dayton shortly after the trial ended. A statue of Bryan was recently erected on the grounds of the Rhea County Courthouse.

Rhea Spring

Dayton is the county seat and largest city.

Dayton (county seat)

Graysville * Spring City

Unincorporated Communities
Evensville * Five Points * Frazier * Grandview * Liberty Hill * Ogden * Old Washington

Watch the video: Flying in a Huey with a 101st Airborne Vietnam Vet. History Traveler Episode 162